Frequently asked questions

Do I need permission before I rent out my home?

If the property is subject to a mortgage, consent is normally required from the lender. Also if you are not the freehold owner of the property, permission is usually required from the freeholder. You should deal with this before instructing us to let your property.

How long should I let for?

All our tenancies are Assured Shorthold Tenancy agreements for a minimum period of 6 months. When this contract comes up for renewal the tenants can either renew for a further 6 or 12 months dependent on the Landlords requirements.

EPC- Energy Performance Certificate

From October the 1st 2008 any property being marketed for let must have an Energy Performance Certificate. The document must form part of the marketing material. RNR Properties can organise this for you. Please speak to a member of our team on 0118 957 1800.

Furnished or Unfurnished?

You must ensure that any soft furnishings you supply comply with current fire safety regulations. The general standard for furnished property is: White Goods: Cooker, Microwave, Fridge/Freezer, Washing machine Furniture: Bed(s) and Wardrobes. Chairs and Sofas. Dining Room/Kitchen table and chairs. Accessories: Utensils, kettle, toaster, mattresses, vacuum cleaner etc Windows: Blinds or curtains

It is not advisable to leave belongings which may be expensive or have sentimental value. Further advice will be given at the appraisal on the benefits of letting your property furnished and unfurnished.

What about furniture and furnishing safety?

The Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety Regulations 1988 (as amended 1993) requires that all furniture in rented properties must meet the standard. Of particular concern is foam filled or upholstered furniture manufactured between 1950 and 1988. Furniture manufactured before 1950 is exempt and may remain in the property but any other soft furnishings; bedding etc left on the premises should be appropriately labelled.

What about gas safety?

The Gas Safety - Installation & Use Regulations 1994 (as amended) require all landlords to ensure that all gas appliances or installation pipe work are maintained in a safe condition and that they are inspected annually by an approved GAS SAFE (formally CORGI) contractor. There are requirements for keeping records and issuing certificates to tenants. All tenants must receive the Landlord Gas Safety Certificate at the beginning of a tenancy. This is required in addition to any servicing arrangement which you may make. We can arrange for the gas safety inspection on your behalf. For more information please contact a member of our team on 0118 957 1800.

What about electricity safety?

Landlords have a duty to ensure that electrical equipment is safe. There are several pieces of legislation affecting the safety of electrical equipment, including the Low Voltage Electrical Equipment Regulations 1989, the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, the General Product Safety Regulations 1994 and the Plugs and Sockets (Safety Regulations) 1994.

In addition we do recommend the installation of smoke detectors

Product Safety Regulations

These regulations outline the Landlords responsibility to show due care and attention pertaining to general safety of tenants in their property. For example, the landlord should supply instruction manuals to items used in property, (e.g. boilers, cookers, vacuums, white goods). In addition, information sheet(s) covering any issues about potential hazards in the property should be supplied, (e.g. garbage disposal, hot surfaces on induction cookers). There is no legal requirement to engage the services of a qualified electrician.

What happens with tenant deposits?

New laws were brought in 2007 to assist tenants in the return of their deposits from unscrupulous landlords and indeed agents too. The law applies to Assured Shorthold Tenancies (ASTs) created on or after 6th April 2007 in England and Wales (currently, there is no requirement to protect deposits for tenancies in Scotland). If the tenancy started on or after 6 April 2007, the Tenant's deposit must be protected in one of the government-approved schemes. If a deposit is not protected, the Landlords will be breaking the law. She/he will be unable to regain possession of the property using notice-only grounds for possession under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988. RNR Properties are able to hold the deposit in our own TDS registered account on behalf of the Landlord.

How does this work?

Unless otherwise requested by the Landlord. The deposit is paid by the Tenant to our bank account, as the agent, on behalf of the Landlord. We retain the deposit in a protected client deposit account and register the deposit under the government approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. The scheme will provide a Deposit Protection Certificate which is given to the Tenant to check and sign within 10 days of receiving the deposit.

At the end of the tenancy period, the property will be inspected for any loss or damage and we will agree with the Tenant how much of the deposit will be returned to the tenant. Within 10 days of agreeing a figure, or within 10 days of the tenant requesting payment of the deposit, the landlord (or their agent) must return the agreed amount to the tenant. The landlord then notifies the scheme to unprotect the deposit and notify the tenant. If there is a dispute, the Tenancy Deposit Scheme will provide arbitration in the form of Alternative Dispute Resolution.

Who is responsible for repairs?

The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 section 11 (as amended by section 116 of the Housing Act 1988) requires the landlord to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the property together with installations for supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation, and to keep in proper working order installations for space and water heating.

Do I need to insure the building and contents?

Landlords are normally responsible for insuring the property and we would recommend landlords also insure their contents if furnished. We can offer advice on request.

How long does it take to find a suitable tenant?

According to market demand and the desirability of your property, it can be anything from between a few hours to several weeks. At RNR Properties we are able to maximise the speed of letting due to our exceptional marketing techniques that match properties to potential tenants and inform them by email. We also undertake marketing in local property publications and on many of the property search portals online.

How do I vet a potential tenant?

We will do this for you, by referencing each potential applicant. We undertake credit, employment and previous landlord checks. This is carried out through our independent referencing company CCV.

What is an assured Shorthold tenancy?

An Assured Shorthold Tenancy offers the landlord a guaranteed right of repossession of his property at the end of the term. It also sets down rental payment details and who will pay for council tax, water, electricity and other bills.

How do I improve the chances of letting out my property?

Properties should be clean and presentable. Decoration is preferably in light neutral tones. Decent floor coverings are vital. Laminate flooring is cheap and durable. Vacant properties without curtains, light fittings, adequate power points and smoke alarms indicate a nonchalant landlord.

How do I know how much rent to charge?

On the arranged marketing appraisal our trained valuer will discuss the potential rental value in the current rental market. With many years experience in the local area we will be able to provide you with an accurate rental valuation of your property. We can answer any questions you may have regarding our services or the letting process itself. We offer FREE no obligation valuations at a time which suits you.

What is an Inventory?

An inventory and schedule of condition is essential for the proper management of a rental property whether it is let furnished or unfurnished, to reduce the risk of a dispute arising in respect of the security Deposit. RNR Properties provide their own in house inventory compilation service.